The Dead Zone borders the entire map of Subnautica. It is the area beyond the crater of an enormous, dormant, aquatic volcano, which is where Subnautica takes place.
The Dead Zone is the end of the map and has a small amount of unfinished terrain at 3000 meters depth. Past that terrain there is another, seemingly infinite drop.
Multiple adult Ghost Leviathans live in the Dead Zone, where they act as a deterrent for wandering players going outside of the playable area.
Spoiler alert: The following section contains story related material.
The Dead Zone is said to only support two kinds of life, microscopic, and Leviathan class, meaning that prior to Kharaa's decimation of the ecosystem, this area may have been the natural habitat of the Sea Emperor Leviathan species.
Data Bank Entry
Geological scans of this area show a steep decline in all directions. This data is consistent with the theory that that the Aurora crashed on the edge of a 2km x 2km volcanic crater. It has likely been millennia since an eruption reached the surface, encouraging the ecosystem within the crater to flourish.
The ecology of the trench surrounding the crater supports only two kinds of life: microscopic, and leviathan class. Exploration is ill-advised.
- Sea Dragon Leviathans, Reaper Leviathans, and other fauna, were planned to spawn in the Dead Zone at one point, but this idea was scrapped.
- The Dead Zone was originally called The Void.
- The Dead Zone is the deepest biome in the game.
- ↑ https://trello.com/c/b01KasIo/207-fix-the-void-or-make-it-dangerous-to-be-in-ghost-leviathan-sea-dragons-etc
- ↑ http://imgur.com/a/BSgYH Dated May 16, 2017.