The Stasis Rifle requires a Battery to operate. If its Battery is used up, the player can replace it by pressing .
By holding Energy being consumed. The stats for minimally- and maximally-charged shots are:, the player can charge a shot in the Stasis Rifle. The player can then release to fire, or wait for the rifle to automatically fire when it has a fully charged shot. This results in a stronger shot bring fired, at the cost of more
- Uncharged shots consume less than 1% of its energy; fully charged shots consume 5%.
- Uncharged shots generate orbs with a diameter of five meters; fully charged shots generate orbs with a diameter of 20 meters.
- Uncharged shots freeze the targeted area for 6.5 seconds; fully charged shots freeze the targeted area for 30 seconds.
A Stasis Rifle shot will travel through air or water for up to ten seconds, regardless of its level of charge. If the shot does not hit anything, it will disappear without forming an orb.
If there is already a stasis orb, generating another orb with the Stasis Rifle will remove the old one.
Firing the Stasis Rifle directly at creatures is useful as both a defensive measure (stunning a creature charging at the player) and as a hunting tool (stunning small fish so they are unable to flee).
The Stasis Rifle is also useful when trying to scan creatures. It locks them in place, which is useful for holding small fast creatures such as Peepers from darting out of the scan range, and for preventing hostile creatures from attacking you while you scan them.
If a Bleeder latches onto the player's arm, the player can use the Stasis Rifle to hit the Bleeder.
The Stasis Rifle is somewhat ineffective against Warpers, as it does prevent them from moving but does not prevent them from teleporting; however, the delay beforehand can be used as a quick escape opportunity.
Data Bank Entry
The stasis rifle uses patented technology to slow time around an entity to as near to a full stop as the laws of physics will permit, essentially anchoring the target in place without affecting its internal workings. It is designed to facilitate scientific and engineering operations by expanding the window of opportunity for action in time-sensitive scenarios.
The stasis rifle features an independent, replaceable power cell, and the trigger may be held down to increase the area of effect and duration.
Common applications include:
'The Alterra Stasis Rifle: Life's fast. Why not put it on pause?'
- The Seamoth is affected by the Stasis Rifle, but the Cyclops is not, even if there is a Seamoth docked in it.
- The Reaper Leviathan's body is unaffected by the Stasis Rifle; its head must be hit for it to take effect.
- This is the same for Ghost Leviathans.
- Flares can be frozen by the Stasis Rifle. This can be useful if one needs lighting in a tricky spot, such as a cave wall.
- Sea Treaders and hidden Crabsnakes are immune to the Stasis Rifle.
- Interestingly enough, the Stasis Rifle can freeze bubbles produced by Purple Brain Coral, which can be a lifesaver if the user were to freeze bubbles in case they are about to drown, and not have to chase it