|This article is about the Sea Emperor Leviathan. You may be looking for the Sea Emperor Juveniles or the Sea Emperor Babies.|
The Sea Emperor Leviathan is colossal in size, having a stocky, entirely armored body and is predominantly pale brown in color, with a few shades of green. Its tentacles are adorned with bright cyan bioluminescent "bulbs".
The creature's head is comparatively small, and quite peculiar in shape (see "Trivia" below for more), featuring two striped antennae with glowing green lures atop its snout, two large mandibles on each side of its rather small mouth, and a glowing hollow in-between these mandibles. It has four binocular eyes, glowing cyan in color.
The Sea Emperor Leviathan's posterior consists of seven long, yet slim tentacles ending with large tentacular clubs, with the largest being in the center, surrounded by the six smaller tentacles.
Unlike the Sea Dragon Leviathan, the Sea Emperor Leviathan doesn't have true graspers; Instead, its forelimbs are two massive, paddle-like arms.
Despite its gargantuan size, the Sea Emperor Leviathan's diet consists solely of micro-organisms filtered from the water.
It is suggested that in the past these creatures would have traveled in small herds, occasionally coming to the surface to feast on the microorganisms in the shallower water. When the Kharaa Bacterium was released onto the planet, many creatures died, destroying the food source of the species.
The Sea Emperor Leviathan is capable of telepathic speech, which it uses to communicate with the player at various locations around the world. Whenever it communicates with the player, the screen becomes distorted in a similar way to when a Warper teleports the player, or the player enters an Alien Arch.
The Sea Emperor Leviathan will first contact the player telepathically twenty minutes after they have attempted to deactivate the Quarantine Enforcement Platform. It will contact the player again shortly after they have obtained the Blue Tablet, and again upon entering the Lava Lakes. It will continue to interact with the player upon entering the Aquarium, telling them what they need to do in order to hatch the eggs. After the player inserts an Ion Cube into the Incubator Device, the Sea Emperor Leviathan will speak to the player, and will move to the left side of the Alien Arch, and blow away the sand, uncovering the Arch that the player can use to access the Arch outside of the Quarantine Enforcement Platform.
Upon entering the aquarium, the Sea Emperor Leviathan will climb up to observe and speak to the player, then descend back down. It will also watch the player intently if they are near the Incubator Device or the aquarium Arch, quickly spinning around and coming to a rest on the aquarium's floor.
The captive Sea Emperor Leviathan is the last remaining adult of its species, and a parent to at least nine eggs. The five eggs still remaining must be hatched at some point in the story. The creature is approximately one thousand six hundred years old, and is suggested to have far surpassed it's species' natural lifespan.
Almost all of the Sea Emperor Leviathans died when the Kharaa Bacterium was released as it killed off their food source, leaving the one captive adult and the eggs it was discovered with. As the only source of Enzyme 42 on Planet 4546B, the Sea Emperor Leviathan and its children are the key to cure the Kharaa Bacterium.
The last surviving Sea Emperor Leviathan was studied by the Precursors in hopes of finding a cure using its natural production of Enzyme 42. However, due to its weakness, possibly old age or illness, studies conducted showed that it was not a viable source of Enzyme 42 as the enyzmes it produced were too unstable and only reverted symptoms temporarily. After the Precursors could not find a way to hatch its eggs naturally, they took three into the dissection room of the Primary Containment Facility and experimented on them, cutting all of them open and removing the fetus from one of the eggs. One other egg was taken to the egg lab, where it was also tested on. Still they could find no way to cause the hatching process to trigger naturally, and juveniles born outside of the natural conditions could not produce suitable enzymes. They resorted to attaching the eggs to an Incubator Device to keep the eggs alive whilst they worked on more ways to hatch them. Shortly after this, the Disease Research Facility was destroyed, releasing the Kharaa Bacterium, causing all Arches to the facility to be closed and initiating the planetary quarantine.
How the prison looked originally is unknown, but it differed significantly to how it looks today. At an unspecified time, the Sea Emperor Leviathan managed to train Peepers to use the Alien Vents to distribute Enzyme 42 to the surface. Under the Sea Emperor Leviathan's control, Peepers traveled through the Alien Vent, bringing flora seeds to the aquarium, and leaving with small amounts of Enzyme 42 which they distribute at the surface. This system allowed a small amount of life to survive on the planet.
After its eggs are hatched, the captive Sea Emperor Leviathan will play with its children, and then direct them to the Arch leading to the just outside the Quarantine Enforcement Platform which they will leave through. The captive will begin dying shortly afterwards, as it has used the last of its strength to play with its babies.
Telepathic Contact Dialogue
Aquarium Telepathic Contact Dialogue
With the passage you have opened my young can leave this place.###1500
My young are swimming for the shallows.###1000
I thank you.###1000
Data Bank Entries
This device catalogues information on the organisms contained at this facility prior to the bacterium's release into the ecosystem. A number of entries have been translated.
- The Sea Emperor Leviathan's dialogue suggests that the species are philosophical, if not religious. It references the idea of reincarnation by saying "Perhaps next we meet I will be an ocean current, I will carry seeds to new lands... or a creature so small it sees the gaps between the grains of sand".
- Early concept art of the Sea Emperor Leviathan depicted it with large, clawed graspers on the ends of its arms, resembling those of a Sea Dragon Leviathan. This idea was later replaced by the paddle-like arms they now have.
- Despite being depicted significantly smaller than the Sea Dragon Leviathan in concept art, the Sea Emperor Leviathan was always intended to be the largest creature in Subnautica.
- The Sea Emperor Leviathan's dialogue suggests that the Precursors were unable to hear its telepathy, as they did not hear its pleas to let its young go free.
- Certain developmental notes refer to the Sea Emperor Leviathan as the "Emperor Leviathan".
- Various documents also refer to the Sea Emperor Leviathan as the "Grand Leviathan".
- The Sea Emperor Leviathan closely shares many of its features to real life animals: a head shape slightly similar to that of many hammerhead sharks, and paddle-like arms, resembling those of the green sea turtles.
- The Sea Emperor Leviathan is named after the closest translation the PDA could find for the associated Precursor symbol.
- The opening sentence of the data bank entry suggests that Sea Emperor Leviathans are the largest living species identified in the Subnautica universe.
- ↑ http://imgur.com/a/vVcxn
- ↑ https://trello.com/c/37zdy3CI/4561-emperor-leviathan-animations Dated June 16, 2015.