The Reaper Leviathan is an aggressive, leviathan class fauna species usually found swimming in large open areas, such as the Dunes and Mountains. It is the third largest aggressive creature in the game and fifth largest overall.
There are a total of twenty-two Reaper Leviathans in Subnautica.
Spoiler alert: The following section contains story related material.
The Reaper Leviathan is a massive creature. Fins and head protrusions included, the creature is just a little shorter than a Cyclops submarine.
The Reaper Leviathan possesses a long, slim, muscularly built body with four caudal fins and two pectoral fins. It also has two dorsal fins running along the length of its entire body, and two ventral fins taking a small portion of its belly. Most of its fins, along with its back, are red in color.
Its head features a large mouth, as well as two pairs of eyes with grey sclera and dark green irises. It has two maroon mandibles on each side of its face which slowly get darker, tipped with black claws, four in total. Multiple scars can be seen on the body, particularly around the facial area, and the bluish-white skin appears similar in texture to human skin.
The Reaper Leviathan emits loud, echoing roars audible from great distances. According to the data bank entry, this roar is a form of echolocation, though it does not function like this in game.
It also seems to circle its prey (or more commonly the player) for a few moments before attacking, and often strikes from behind by surprise.
If the Reaper Leviathan manages to grab the player, the creature will hold its victim in its mandibles, pause for a second while roaring, and then proceed to pull the player into its mouth, killing them instantly.
When the Reaper Leviathan is exposed to damage, it will flinch and roar shortly after being hurt.
The Reaper Leviathan is capable of a massive attack that inflicts 80% damage on the player if attacked outside of their submarine. It is also capable of grabbing the Seamoth and shaking it around. Doing so will deal about 40 - 60% damage over about ten seconds to the vehicle before it lets go.
The Reaper Leviathan has been observed to grab a Seamoth and a Prawn Suit and smash it down to the seabed, destroying it completely afterwards.
The Reaper Leviathan will also grab the Prawn Suit. If it succeeds, the damage incurred will only be around 15-25%.
Data Bank Entry
Leviathan class species are vast organisms at the top of their respective food chains. This species is a streamlined hunter, with highly developed senses.
Motivational note: Congratulations on getting close enough to scan it and living to see the results!
Assessment: Extreme threat - Avoid in all circumstances
- The Reaper Leviathan's design is credited to an artist named "Mikhail". Though no information about him is known.
- The Reaper Leviathan, along with the Stalker and Lava Lizard, are the only creatures in the game to not display any form of bioluminescence.
- The Reaper Leviathan used to emit bioluminescence, but in an update it was given a new model that no longer gives off any bioluminescence.
- The Reaper Leviathan's body, as well as colour scheme, resemble that of the oarfish, a real-life creature. Whether this is intended or not is unknown.
- The Reaper Leviathan was originally modelled at a similar size to the Boneshark and Sand Shark. Later on, it was made much larger than what had been previously planned.
- A Reaper Leviathan used to spawn in the Mushroom Forests near the Aurora.