|This article is about the Reaper Leviathan. You may be looking for the Sea Dragon Leviathan.|
The Reaper Leviathan is a huge aggressive life form belonging to the fauna category. It is currently the second largest carnivore in the game. Overall, it is the third largest life form in Subnautica, behind the Reefback and the Sea Dragon Leviathan.
In the Inactive Lava Zone, multiple Reaper Leviathan skeletons can be found. This is due to Sea Dragon Leviathans coming up from the lava zone to catch them, then dragging them down to the lava zone to feast.
The Reaper Leviathan is a colossal creature. If fins and head protrusions are included, the creature is just a little shorter than a Cyclops submarine.
The Reaper Leviathan possesses a long, slim, muscularly built body with four caudal fins and two pectoral fins. It also has two dorsal fins running along the length of its entire body, and two ventral fins taking a small portion of its belly. Most of its fins, along with its back, are red in color.
Its head features a large mouth, as well as two pairs of green eyes along with large red, black tipped mandibles on each side. Most of the body is blue-shaded white in color, having seemingly smooth skin.
The Reaper Leviathan usually emits loud, echoing roars audible from great distances. According to the data bank entry, this roar is a form of echolocation, though the roar does not function like this in game.
It also seems to circle its prey (or more commonly the player) for a few moments before attacking, and often strikes from behind by surprise.
If the Reaper Leviathan manages to grab the Player, the creature will hold its victim in its mandibles, pause for a second while roaring, and then proceed to pull the player into its mouth, killing them instantly.
The Reaper Leviathan is capable of a massive attack that inflicts 80% damage on the player if attacked outside of their submarine. It is also capable of grabbing the Seamoth and shaking it around. Doing so will deal about 40 - 60% damage over about ten seconds to the vehicle before it lets go.
The Reaper Leviathan has been observed to grab a Seamoth and smash it down to the seabed, destroying it completely afterwards.
The Reaper Leviathan will also grab the Prawn Suit and can destroy it. If it succeeds, the damage incurred will only be around 15-25%.
- The Reaper Leviathan will also spawn outside of the playable area.
Data Bank Entry
Leviathan class predators are vast organisms at the top of their respective food chains. This species is a streamline hunter, with developed sight and echolocation capability. The deep roar emitted by the reaper at regular intervals is effectively sonar - if you hear it, the reaper can hear you.
Motivational note: This lifeform has been categorized as a leviathan class predator.
Assessment: Extreme threat
For a more complete gallery, visit Reaper Leviathan/Gallery.
- As noted in the Reaper Leviathan data bank entry, the 'Leviathan' part of its name is a classification given to extremely large and dangerous predators. the same can be assumed for the Sea Dragon Leviathan.
- The Reaper Leviathan's body resembles an oarfish, a real-life creature. Whether this is intended or not is unknown.
- The Reaper Leviathan was originally modeled at a similar size to the Boneshark and Sand Shark, later on it was made much larger than what had been previously planned.
- ↑ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBiut6gd958y2HOyXWh9WiYi6XVjw9HgecJzhpOE6_k/mobilebasic?pli=1#heading=h.v010efid8r91 Date unknown.
- ↑ http://m.imgur.com/zVT5R71