I was wondering if you could update the template for Fauna so that we can post what DNA serum can be taken from them? From what i understand from the devs DNA is going to be a big push in the future. I tried to do it myself but I lack the experience with templates. Either way could you link me to some information that could help me get better at it? Thanks :)
They come from the game's code :-). If you're interested in how, there's a conversation between Rahlzel and I here on my wall about what programs we each used to do this. Or if you don't want to get into that much stuff, I'd be happy to export stuff for you. Lemme know!
Unfortunately the images actually are cut off on two edges in the source, so there's no going around that. But I think I did get better results than some of the existing icons (some were cut off on all 4 sides I noticed). I looked into multiple programs to see if I could find something that didn't do it, but every one did (even if I was converting directly from tex), and even so you can see in the numberkey slots that they actually are cut off ingame.
I ended up using UnityAssetsExplorer for the extraction + conversion to dds, and then x2y for batch dds -> png conversion... and then an hours worth of file organizing/renaming :-). It's also worth mentioning that there were often 2 assets for many of the icons, with one being bigger than the other (we should always get the bigger one).
I'm using Disunity for the extraction and Irfanview to view the .dds files and export as .png. I'll give x2y a try and see if I have any better luck. Handling transparency with Irfanview leaves something to be desired. Thanks.
You're welcome :-). I think I got all of the icons (I went over the entire resources.assets), but I couldn't get into sharedassets1.assets because it's too big. So that could be something to check with Disunity. I think UnityAssetsExplorer (v 1.4) works pretty well other than that; it has a pretty good UI, complete with sorting by type or filtering by name (including extension). It also has a dds/tex -> png preview so you know what you're looking at.
I just tried the UnityAssetsExplorer + x2y conversion and now I might have some useful information for you:
Disunity is MUCH faster, but it only works well on image files like .tga and .dds, which is fine for our needs.
Extract Disunity into the \Subnautica_Data folder
Shift-right-click inside the folder and select "Open command window here"
Type disunity learn *.assets
Type disunity extract [assetsfile].assets <-- Repeat for each .assets file
All image files (tga, dds) are now in named folders (Resources, sharedassets0, etc)
Imagemagick is an excellent alternative to x2y AND Irfanview (perhaps the best I've used thus far), and it comes with a -flip option to automagically vertically flip the .dds images without the user needing to do it manually.
Create a new folder called "converted" inside \Subnautica_Data\Resources\Texture2D
The above will batch-convert all *.dds files inside the directory, flip them, and then store the converted versions inside the \converted folder (the mogrify command replaces the files, so having a -path to place the new version is handy - not a huge deal since the new files are .pngs and it's possible to have image.dds and image.png in the same folder).
Imagemagick feels a little slower than x2y, but the image quality is excellent, the images are flipped perfectly, and the transparency is retained.
Let me know if you need any help, assuming you'd like to try going this route. I'm gonna pass out soon but I'll be around in a few hours.
1) How can you tell what asset files you are working with in Disunity without a preview? I suppose you are batching all of the text files through the whole process and then looking at the end results? How long does that process take? In all honesty, it's probably way easier than what I did--which was going through the resources in the bundles one by one within UnityAssetsExplorer and extracting only the icon files.
2) Awesomeness about the flip. I ended up just using a photoshop macro, but taking out that step is a good pickup.
3) The image quality should be exactly the same with a dds conversion. Was it not in your tests? Also, was transparency not retained for you via x2y? (did you convert to png--not bmp?)
4) Honestly one of the biggest steps was uploading all of the files. I went to the Multiple Upload special place, but even then I could only upload 5 at a time (and I still had to select files individually).
Hopefully we won't need to do this too much in the near future now that we have this big dump, but when we do, this will be very useful.
I can't. There's no preview option, I just extract everything and view the images/dds in Irfanview. Despite being sloppy with transparency, Irfanview is quite excellent with batch renaming and thumbnail views. It takes a few seconds to extract each .assets file.
Yes and yes. Transparency and quality was fine with x2y. I wasn't comparing those two factors to Imagemagick. I'm just noting that Imagemagick also handles it well.
Such is the downside of Wikia. It replaces advanced features with usability and easier "beginner" content. I've used several Mediawiki extensions that handle bulk uploads much better, but they'll not likely ever be used by Wikia.