The Lava Lizard is rather large and is mostly green in color. It has two silver eyes. Its wide mouth features rows of small teeth on the top and bottom, and two pairs of large fangs, one on top, one on the bottom, with all four fangs pointed forward, many scars can be seen around the eyes and head of the creature, as well as a few on its underbelly.
The Lava Lizard has two arms in the front with three large, sharp claws, as well as two vestigial limbs near the hindquarters. It has a broad tail flipper with three spikes. The underside of its body transitions in color from green to pale yellow.
The Lava Lizard can swim through lava, creating a shell of hardened lava on their back, which acts as armor. It can be broken using the knife, or the Repulsion Cannon. Swimming through lava will also grant them the ability to shoot a cooled chunk of lava at the player as a projectile attack. It can also ram the player after firing the projectile. Each attack of the Lava Lizard deals 30% damage.
- Lava Lizard Eggs will be implemented in the future.
Data Bank Entry
Medium-sized predator adapted for life in volcanic regions.
For a more complete gallery, visit Lava Lizard/Gallery
- The Lava Lizard's model before gaining a lava shell was once used for the Stalker before a more suitable model was chosen and the model was given to the Lava Lizard.
- The Lava Lizard, along with the Stalker, are the only creatures in Subnautica that don't emit bioluminescence.
- The Lava Lizard's magma shell emits light, however is not bioluminescence, as it comes from the magma rather than the Lava Lizard.
- The Lava Lizard could be a reference to the mythical salamander that used fire to form a layer of protection and was said to be born out of fire itself.