|This article is about the Lava Lizard. You may be looking for the Lava Larva.|
The Lava Lizard is rather large and is mostly green in color, with two silver eyes. Its wide mouth features rows of small teeth on the top and bottom, and two pairs of large fangs, one on top, one on the bottom, with all four fangs pointed forward. Many scars can be seen around the eyes and head, as well as a few on its underbelly.
The Lava Lizard has two arms in the front with three large, sharp claws, as well as two vestigial limbs near the hindquarters. It has a broad tail flipper with three spikes. The underside of its body transitions in color from green to pale yellow.
The Lava Lizard can swim through lava, creating a shell of hardened lava on their back which acts as armor. It can be broken using the knife or the Repulsion Cannon. Swimming through lava will also grant it the ability to spit a cooled chunk of lava at the player as a projectile attack. It can also ram the player after firing the projectile. Each attack deals 30% damage to the player.
Lava Lizards are resistant to the effects of the Thermoblade, and thus the tool is useless against them. This is most likely due to their own skin being adapted to the climates of the Inactive Lava Zone and Lava Lakes.
Data Bank Entry
Medium-sized predator adapted for life in volcanic regions, and remarkably able to spit molten rock at its foes.
- The Lava Lizard's model before gaining a lava shell was once used for the Stalker before a more suitable model was chosen and the model was given to the Lava Lizard.
- The Lava Lizard, along with the Stalker and Reaper Leviathan, are the only creatures in Subnautica that don't emit Bioluminescence.
- The Lava Lizard's magma shell emits light. However, it is not bioluminescence, as it comes from the magma rather than the Lava Lizard.
- The Lava Lizard could be a reference to the mythical salamander that used fire to form a layer of protection and was said to be born out of fire itself.
- The Lava Lizard, along with other medium-sized predators, were once able to attack the Cyclops. This feature has since been removed.