There is a large variety of Fauna, ranging from the minuscule, cave-dwelling Rockgrub, to the colossal Sea Dragon Leviathan that spews molten minerals from its mouth. Fauna on Planet 4546B are capable of enduring and adapting to various environments, although unable to thrive due to the presence of the Carar Bacterium. Certain species of small Fauna can sometimes be seen forming shoals.
Fauna on Planet 4546B only have one gender, which is capable of both laying eggs and fertilizing them. Two parents are still needed in the majority of cases. Fauna on 4546B also have yellow blood.
Current list of fauna
Scavengers & Parasites
Possible Expansion Pack Additions
- In the future it may be possible to ride certain fauna.
- Fauna were intended to posses inherent attributes, that would have caused them to exhibit unique behaviors. These included, e.g., "Fertile" (occasionally lay eggs that can be hatched), "Alpha" (attacked the player if other creatures were killed by the player in the immediate vicinity), "Complex" (specimens take longer to scan), "Greater" (specimens are of larger size and weight), ... Whether these attributes are currently implemented or will be implemented in future updates is unknown.
- As of the Dangerous Creatures update, all fauna have yellow blood. Before this update, fauna had red blood. This is due to the ESRB giving Subnautica a higher rating than expected due to red blood.
- If you hold a small animal in your hand when a carnivorous fauna is about to attack, it will eat the animal out of your hand, instead of attacking you.
- In the very early stages, there was an unused Sandworm that could only be spawned using the console, it would stay in one place under the ground and when the player or an npc was right above it, it would spring up and would do 1 damage but at a very fast rate. It never had any animations, except it shooting out of the ground and back into its hole.