Ecosystem-Player Events are the interaction between the player and life forms. They also include interactions inside the environment itself, such as a predator attacking a prey. These events can be based on many mechanics, such as light, motion, or player range. This page lists out the different events that happen in Subnautica.
Light-Based Events Edit
- The Oculus is afraid of light. Pointing a light source at one causes it to swim away hastily.
- Jellyrays and Bonesharks are attracted by light. Their curiosity causes them to investigate light sources. Be careful while attempting this, as Bonesharks are very aggressive to the player.
- Crabsquids will create an EMP blast when light is shined on them. This is risky, considering that the EMP can disable vehicles, tools, and even Seabases.
- Bloom Plankton will change their light color based on what type of light they are "charged" with.
Motion-Based Events Edit
- Spadefish are afraid of motion they cannot see. Because their only eye is on top of their head, if something moves under them, the Spadefish will flee.
Sound-Based Events Edit
- Sea Treaders will emit loud, low calls that other Sea Treaders will respond to.
- When a Stalker loses a tooth the player will hear a crunching noise.
Ecosystem-Environment Events Edit
- Stalkers are attracted to metal. They will swim around and pick up metal.
- Sand Sharks will wait under the sand to attack Fauna.
Ecosystem-Ecosystem Events Edit
- Bleeders are attracted to all life forms - living or dead. This can be taken advantage of easily by the player. They can throw a fish at a bleeder to distract it and make their escape.
- Stalkers enjoy eating Peepers. They can be seen chasing Peepers around, usually ending with a Peeper's death.
- Gasopods will release its Gas Pods if any creature or the player gets too close to it.
- Warpers will shoot a projectile that will teleport fauna or the player to a random location if something gets too close to it.
- In the future, Warpers will also become hostile towards fauna and/or the Player that are infected with the Carar (Bacterium).
- Crabsnakes often reside in Jellyshrooms, and will attack the player if they are approached while inside a Jellyshroom. They can also be seen peeking out of the mushrooms.
- Tiger Plants will attack any and all Fauna that comes near it, including the Player.
Player-Ecosystem Events Edit
- Stalkers will eat fish out of the player's hand. Doing this causes them to be peaceful with the player and will bring them metal salvage.
- Stalkers will also take pieces of metal salvage from the player's hand. Doing this causes them to be peaceful, but they will not bring the player metal salvage in return.
Player-Environment Events Edit
- Acid Mushrooms will explode and cause damage to the player if the player attacks it with a knife