Ecosystem-Player Events are the interaction between the player and life forms. They also include interactions inside the environment itself, such as a predator attacking a prey. These events can be based on many mechanics, such as light, motion, or player range. This page lists out the different events that happen in Subnautica.
Light-Based Events Edit
- The Oculus is afraid of light. Pointing a light source at one causes it to swim away hastily.
- Jellyrays and Bonesharks are attracted by light. Their curiosity causes them to investigate light sources. Be careful while attempting this, as Bonesharks are very aggressive to the player.
- Crabsquids will create an EMP blast when light is shined on them. This is risky, considering that the EMP can disable vehicles, tools, and even Seabases.
- Bloom Plankton will change their light color based on what type of light they are "charged" with.
Motion-Based Events Edit
- Spadefish are afraid of motion they cannot see. Because their only eye is on top of their head, if something moves under them, the Spadefish will flee.
Sound-Based Events Edit
- Sea Treaders will emit loud, low calls that other Sea Treaders will respond to.
- When a Stalker loses a tooth the player will hear a crunching noise.
Ecosystem-Environment Events Edit
- Stalkers are attracted to metal. They will swim around and pick up metal.
- Sand Sharks will wait under the sand to attack Fauna.
Ecosystem-Ecosystem Events Edit
- Bleeders are attracted to all life forms - living or dead. This can be taken advantage of easily by the player. They can throw a fish at a bleeder to distract it and make their escape.
- Stalkers enjoy eating Peepers. They can be seen chasing Peepers around, usually ending with a Peeper's death.
- Gasopods will release their Gas Pods if any creature or the player gets too close to it.
- Warpers will shoot a projectile that will teleport fauna or the player to a random location if something gets too close to it.
- Warpers will become hostile towards fauna and/or the Player that are infected with the Carar.
- Crabsnakes often reside in Jellyshrooms, and will attack the player if they are approached while inside a Jellyshroom. They can also be seen peeking out of the mushrooms.
- Tiger Plants will attack any and all Fauna that comes near it, including the Player.
Player-Ecosystem Events Edit
- Stalkers will eat fish out of the player's hand. Doing this causes them to be peaceful with the player and will bring them metal salvage, although this behaviour is temporary.
- Stalkers will also take pieces of metal salvage from the player's hand. Doing this causes them to be peaceful, but they will not bring the player metal salvage in return.