The Cuddle Fish's body is small, grey in color on the dorsal side, with a white bioluminescent coloring on the ventral side, and a white stripe running along the length of its body, from the top of its head to its rear-side. It has a sightly bloated belly and possesses no dorsal or caudal fins, sporting only a stubby pair of pectoral fins. Its body also features many small, wart-like lumps.
The Cuddle Fish's head has two slightly bulging, forward facing eyes, along with a wide mouth and two small holes that seem to be nostrils.
At the end of the Cuddle Fish's body there are five tentacles that have the same grey and white body color pattern.
The Cuddle Fish Egg consists of a round transparent outer membrane with three small bumps on the bottom. A small embryo is visible inside the egg.
The coloring of the egg's outer membrane is primarily light brown with dark brown spots near the bottom. The Cuddle Fish embryo inside has a similar patterning to the adult Cuddle Fish, but with a light blue color instead of grey.
When close to hatching the juvenile inside can be seen trying to break out of the egg.
The Cuddle Fish uses its tentacles to propel itself and mostly swims around darting in circles and letting out various chirping noises, as well as occasionally swimming over to investigate objects that interest it such as small fauna or Fragments.
The Cuddle Fish will either follow the player around or stay in one area when told to. The player can tell it to stop/start following them using.
The player can play with it using. It has various play actions, such as high fives, magic tricks, or cuddles, and will display various emotions depending on said action.
Data Bank Entry
A small, grey-colored herbivore, the cuddle fish displays high levels of intelligence, curiosity and attachment.
Assessment: Emotional connection between living creatures is an essential component of psychological health
- The Cuddle Fish's original name was Cute Fish. However, this was only a working name.
- On the Sketchfab page, Cute Fish is spelled "Qute Fish." This is a result of the modeler misspelling it, as English was not their native language.
- The Cuddle Fish was originally meant to have the role of the Crashfish, as seen in the Concept Art; however, the developers thought that it was "too cute" and thus created the Crashfish, and made the Cuddle Fish a pet.
- Before it was decided that the Cuddle Fish would be a pet, it was planned to spawn in the Twisty Bridges.
- For a while during development, the Cuddle Fish was going to be a pet only given to Early Access players or those buying the Special Edition. However, this was changed as the developers did not have time to implement the Special Edition.
- It may have been inspired by the porcupinefish because of their similar faces, the spines on their bodies, and how the Cuddle Fish puffs up in its concept art.
- The appearance of the egg may have been inspired by those of the Cuttlefish, evidenced by resemblances of the eggs and fetus.
- ↑ http://imgur.com/a/4k3iB
- ↑ http://imgur.com/a/RPie2
- ↑ An official fauna sheet created by the developers.
- ↑ http://imgur.com/a/C13Jn