Subnautica takes place inside the crater of an enormous, dormant, aquatic volcano, two kilometers in diameter. The Crater Edge is the area surrounding this crater. With no resources and extreme danger, the zone serves as a border for the game's map.
Multiple adult Ghost Leviathans live in the Crater Edge, where they deter players from straying outside of the playable area. Up to three of these intensely territorial creatures can appear at once, only retreating when the player leaves the zone. If the player enters the Crater Edge, a single Ghost Leviathan spawns in. If the player stays in the Crater Edge for thirty seconds, a second Ghost Leviathan will spawn. If the player stays in the area for another thirty seconds, a third and final Ghost Leviathan spawns in. They will all pursue the player until the player returns to the playable area, upon which they will all retreat.
The Crater Edge has a small amount of unfinished terrain at 3000 meters depth. Past that terrain there is another, seemingly infinite drop. After 8500 meters depth, the player teleports back to Lifepod 5. At approximately 4000 horizontal meters away from the map center, the zone ends. Leviathans cease spawning and there is only empty ocean, acting as the real end of the game's limit.
Spoiler alert: The following section contains story related material.
The Crater Edge is said to only support two kinds of life, microscopic, and Leviathan class, meaning that prior to Kharaa's decimation of the ecosystem, this area may have been the natural habitat of the Sea Emperor Leviathan species.
Data Bank Entry
Geological scans of this area show a steep decline in all directions. This data is consistent with the theory that that the Aurora crashed on the edge of a 2km x 2km volcanic crater. It has likely been millennia since an eruption reached the surface, encouraging the ecosystem within the crater to flourish.
The ecology of the trench surrounding the crater supports only two kinds of life: microscopic, and leviathan class. Exploration is ill-advised.
- Sea Dragon Leviathans, Reaper Leviathans, and other fauna, were planned to spawn in the Crater Edge (aka the void) at one point, but this idea was scrapped.
- The Crater Edge was originally called The Void and the Dead Zone.
- The Crater Edge is the deepest biome in the game.
- The Crater Edge is one of the two biomes that do not harbor flora, the other being the Lava Lakes.
- ↑ https://trello.com/c/b01KasIo/207-fix-the-void-or-make-it-dangerous-to-be-in-ghost-leviathan-sea-dragons-etc
- ↑ http://imgur.com/a/BSgYH Dated May 16, 2017.