The Crashfish is a round, oval shaped fish with widely spaced nostrils, a wide mouth, and one pale yellow eye, with a large black pupil. The top of the body is red and scaly, whilst its underside and face are covered by smooth, cream colored skin. Many spikes protrude outwards from the Crashfish's body, these spikes are beige in color, tipped with red and are responsible for triggering their characteristic, explosive chemical reaction. The same spikes make up its fins, though these are much more brightly colored than the spikes found elsewhere on the body.
Upon sensing the player's presence, the Sulphur Plant opens up like a flower and emits a menacing gurgle, revealing the Crashfish inside. If the player approaches further after the Crashfish's initial warning, the Crashfish will launch itself out of the Sulphur Plant and charge at the player, if the player instead heeds the warning and backs off, the Crashfish will retreat back into the Sulphur Plant.
If the Crashfish explodes next to a Seamoth with the player inside, it can immediately destroy the Seamoth depending on proximity, however the Hull Reinforcement upgrade partially protects against this threat. Should an unaware player not see the Crashfish after hearing its warning noise, it is highly advised to swim in the other direction from where the sound originated. Crashfish also deal about 45% damage to a Prawn Suit, making them a very real threat to it.
The Crashfish swims very fast, so fast that it can even out run a Seamoth, and can also easily catch up with an ill-equipped player, dealing severe damage to their health and also to their Oxygen level.
While the Crashfish is also scannable inside the Sulphur Plant, caution is advised when attempting this process. The easiest and fastest way is to freeze the Crashfish with a Stasis Rifle as it peeks out of its home to scan it.
Crashfish eggs can be found near Sulphur Plants. Take care when collecting them, as a nearby Crashfish explosion will destroy them.
- Crashfish may occasionally leave their Sulphur Plant and swim around the area near their plant, in this state they will not attack the player.[Citation needed]
Data Bank Entry
This unusual species has developed an emergency defense mechanism based upon mutually assured destruction. Concentrations of sulfur build up in the organism over time. If the crashfish collides with something at sufficient speed the spikes on its torso are impacted, triggering an explosive chemical reaction.
1. Forward-mounted Eye:
2. Sulfur Plant:
Assessment: Avoid shallow caves
- The Crashfish can be used to the advantage to the player, especially if they have a Propulsion Cannon on hand.
- The old name for the Crashfish was the Crash
- It was renamed in order to prevent confusion in the changelogs, between "game crashes" and the actual creature itself.[Citation needed]
- The Cuddle Fish was originally supposed to be the Crashfish, but the developers decided it was too cute, and made the Crashfish to replace it.[Citation needed]