The Crashfish is a defensive fauna species found only in caves, usually in the Safe Shallows Caves and the Kelp Forest Caves. The Crashfish lives in a symbiotic relationship with a flora species named the Sulfur Plant.
The Crashfish is a round, oval shaped fish with widely spaced nostrils, a wide mouth, and one pale yellow eye with a large black pupil. The top of the body is red and scaly, whilst its underside and face are covered by smooth, cream colored skin. Many spikes protrude outwards from the Crashfish's body; these spikes are beige in color, tipped with red and are responsible for triggering their characteristic explosive chemical reaction. The same spikes make up its fins, though these are much more brightly colored than the spikes found elsewhere on the body.
Upon sensing the player's presence, the Sulfur Plant opens up like a flower and emits a menacing gurgle, revealing the Crashfish inside. If the player approaches further after the Crashfish's initial warning, the Crashfish will launch itself out of the Sulfur Plant and charge at the player. If the player instead heeds the warning and backs off, the Crashfish will retreat back into the Sulfur Plant.
If the Crashfish explodes next to a Seamoth with the player inside, it can immediately destroy the Seamoth depending on proximity. Should an unaware player not see the Crashfish after hearing its warning noise, it is highly advised to swim in the other direction from where the sound originated. Crashfish also deal about 45% damage to a Prawn Suit, making them a very real threat to it.
The Crashfish is a very fast swimmer, it can even outswim a Seamoth, and can also easily catch up with an ill-equipped player, dealing severe damage to their health and also to their Oxygen level. The Crashfish becomes aggressive when the player gets too close, and can be identified with its loud ‘reet’ sound. Using evasive maneuvers to put obstacles between the player and the Crashfish rather than swimming away in a straight line is advisable in most circumstances.
While the Crashfish is also scannable inside the Sulfur Plant, caution is advised when attempting this process. The easiest and fastest way to accomplish this is to freeze the Crashfish with a Stasis Rifle as it peeks out of its home to scan it.
Crashfish eggs can be found near Sulfur Plants. Take care when collecting them, as a nearby Crashfish explosion will destroy them.
Data Bank Entry
This unusual species has developed an emergency defense mechanism based on mutually assured destruction.
- The Crashfish can be used to the advantage to the player, especially if they have a Propulsion Cannon on hand.
- The old name for the Crashfish was the Crash.
- The Crashfish bears a striking resemblance to the Cacodemon from the first person shooter, DOOM. Both creatures feature a single, forward-mounted eye, four spikes on their heads with two more on the bottom, and red scales that cover the majority of their bodies. It is unknown whether these similarities were intentional or simply coincidental. A lesser resemlance is to the Bandifish, mainly through the name and the habit of chasing down prey.
- The Cuddlefish was originally going to be the Crashfish, but they decided to use the Crashfish model because the Cuddlefish was "too cute".
- The Crashfish and the Sulfur Plant are one of the three creatures to be in a symbiotic relationship.