|This article is about the Crash Zone. You may be looking for the Crash Zone Mesas.|
The Crash Zone is the biome in which the Aurora crashed, hence its name. It is characterized by rocky slopes and deep trenches covered with sand, and is littered with debris from the crashed spaceship. This biome is one of the eeriest biomes due to its open spaces and the constant presence of eight Reaper Leviathans. The Crash Zone is also currently the largest biome in Subnautica.
The Crash Zone is located on the easternmost part of the map, surrounded by a Kelp Forest, Safe Shallows, the Bulb Zone, a Mushroom Forest, the Crag Field, and Grassy Plateaus. Located behind the ship is a trench created by the crash and littered with debris, which is also guarded by six Reaper Leviathans.
There is a large amount of dry land on the eastern side of the Aurora which has plenty of debris, metal salvage. Also, flocks of Skyrays populate this area.
The Crash Zone possesses a distinct sandy, murky tint of water, and is nearly devoid of flora. The biome makes up, however, for a wide variety of fauna, most of which being predatory - including the dangerous Reaper Leviathans. The harvesting nodes typically found in the area makes this biome a good source for raw crafting materials.
The safest way to cross the Crash Zone is to follow the Safe Shallows as close as possible, then stick to the shallowest parts of the area. If attempting to enter the Aurora, it only takes a brief trip through deeper waters, although a Reaper Leviathan can frequently be found West of the entrance. The "landing" inside is shallow enough to provide some safety for embarking and disembarking. It requires a radiation suit and ideally should be done with a Seamoth, as there is a radiation field around the perimeter.
Located behind the Aurora are six Mesas. They are submerged in a green, even murkier atmosphere and house a few species of Fauna, Flora and Coral such as the Redwort and Coral Shell Plate (which are found only in this area of the Crash Zone).
For a more complete gallery, visit Crash Zone/Gallery
- Before the reorganization of fragment locations, parts of Cyclops and other fragments spawned continuously on the dunes on the port side of the ship, making the Crash Zone a great source for Titanium.
- The ambience is an edited version of the sparse reef ambience.
- It is the only biome to have more than one ambience sounds.
- There was once an entrance to an Inactive Lava Zone Corridor located beneath the Aurora. This has since been removed in the Ghost Update.
- The Crash Zone has a very similar terrain to that of the Dunes.